How to Clean a Green Pool
Spring is here, the weather is warming up and its almost time to start swimming again. If you haven’t thought about your pool since the end of summer, don’t worry you’re like most people. But now the pool has turned green and its starting to look more like a frog pond than a swimming pool!
Don’t stress – we can help you get back to a crystal, clear pool in no time. Just follow these simple steps. The key things to remember are Filtration, Circulation and Water Chemistry.
1. Pop in store to purchase an Essential Green Pool kit, which includes our super shockwave, 3″ chlorine tablets and Swimtrine – a top quality algaecide. This has everything you need to get your pool back to blue, bundled into an easy kit. We will also send you home with easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions so you get it right the first time.
2. Clean the debris out of the pool as best as possible, mainly any leaves because they will soak up the shock and we don’t want to waste it.
3. Make sure the skimmer and pump baskets are emptied.
4. Make sure you backwash or clean the filter.
5. Make sure you have good circulation and good water flow in the pool.
6. Set your pump to run 24hours a day until your pool is clean and clear.
7. Add the chlorine tablets to the skimmer basket – this will introduce chlorine in the water quickly in order to sanitize and start killing the algae.
8. Then shock the pool. It might seem like a lot but you will need to dump most of the shock in the Essential Green Pool Kit (*depending on pool size) into the pool.
9. Then brush the entire pool to help dissolve and disperse the shock and remove any algae that may be stuck to the walls or floor.
10. Then walk around the pool and pour in the algaecide all over the pool.
11. Wait three days to take a water test sample and then bring it in to see us. This is because other factors might be at play such as your alkalinity, PH and stabilizer levels. We will need to make sure the water is properly balanced once the green pool is clear again.
Of course if you don’t want to mess with any of this yourself, we will happily do it for you! Call to schedule your free green pool cleanup estimation.
We hope this information helps you get back in the pool safely and easily this spring. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to call or visit us at Heart of Texas Pool & Spa.